5 Things You Need to Know Before Convention
The countdown to convention is on! There are a few things you need to know before you arrive in Phoenix.
You will likely meet other KDs while traveling to convention and IT. IS. AWESOME! Who doesn’t love meeting someone new and finding out they’re also a KD? Almost 900 Kappa Deltas from all over the country will be traveling to Phoenix on June 28. You’ll probably bump into a few of them along the way! Keep an eye out for KD sisters on your flight. Hint: look for KD swag and a lot of green and white. Who knows, you might meet your new best friend before convention even starts!
You may have anxiety about what to wear, but it’s going to be OK! No need to stress about what to put in your suitcase. We have your packing list covered. Check out our Pinterest board for some outfit inspiration!
- Wear green and/or white pin attire for the Opening Session.
- Pack pin attire for general sessions and breakouts.
- Voting delegates only: bring white dresses or nice white pants/tops and white shoes to wear during business sessions. Non-delegates are not required to wear white, but should wear appropriate pin attire for business sessions.
- Cocktail attire should be worn for the awards dinner.
- University shirt and pants/jeans/shorts/skirt of your choice may be worn to Friday night’s casual dinner.
- You have the option to wear your favorite attire or accessories from the 50s, 60s or 90s during the Ever Loyal Lunch. (Please note that you must be in pin attire for the sessions before and after this lunch.)
- Formal evening attire is to be worn for the White Rose Banquet on Saturday evening.
- A sweater or light jacket for chilly meeting rooms is a must.
You will want to write down every word you hear during sessions. Bring a pen and paper, and get ready to take it all in. Whether you’ve been to several conventions or you’re a first time attendee, you are guaranteed to learn something new. You will walk away from presentations feeling inspired to take on the world. And you’ll definitely hear some tweetable quotes from our speakers. (Get the skinny on them here.) You will also learn more about sorority business, like National Bylaws and council elections, and feel even more connected to the national organization. You won’t forget the first time you witness National Council conducting Initiation!
Take advantage of networking opportunities! Make it a point to connect with women from different chapters during meals, elevator rides and free time. You may just find the answers to your KD questions, learn new things to try at your chapter and make new friends in the process.
You will leave bleeding green and white. Your KD spirit meter will be the highest it’s ever been! For weeks following convention, your #AOTuesday and throwback Thursday posts will be convention photos, and you will attempt to convey the experience you had in a simple and clever caption. You will return to work or school with many stories to share that all start with, “This one time at convention…” Most of all, you’ll be left wondering why we don’t have national gatherings every week … but don’t worry, you’ll get to do it all over again in 2019!